David Banmiller – Author of Turbulence
Our 5th session covering Chapter 4 — ‘Inside the Corporate Office’
So many key positions – and all deserve mutual respect as the combined efforts make a business successful or not.
• All disciplines are interconnected & how corporate culture has changed over the years
• How the Machine works :
o YESTERDAY — Finance
o TODAY – FLT.OPS / Engineering / Maintenance / Ground Ops / HR / Admin
o TOMORROW – IT / Marketing
• Sometimes Personal Dynamics & sometimes drama
• Between these divisions, can make or break a company.
• Importance of Executive Assistance — Ann Tang – Incredible lady!
• How important is marketing?
• The demise of the travel agent — Commissions / over-rides
• Thom Nulty & Mike Gunn — Unique breeds.
• Changes in focus through the 50’s / 60’s / 70’s some sensitive adverts — from Mary Wells / inspiration for Peggy from Mad Men to Emilio Pucci and trendy uniforms
• Frequent flyer programs and incredible value of the programs these days
• A look back at the Peter Sellers ads as well as a clever example from Virgin – featuring a ref to Winston Churchill
Nice close — in regard to people skills — a quote from David ;-
“I did not want to be the smartest person in the room — just the one passing the baton & leading the orchestra of talent”
Music used: Distant Lands – Hanu Dixit.mp3